DEE EVANS will be inducted into the SJO Hall of Fame tonight.
- Dee Evans is a 1960 graduate of St. Joseph High School.
- He was a three-sport athlete in Football, Basketball and Track, earning a Varsity letter for three years in each sport.
- In 1959 he was awarded the Little All-State
Award for Football. His stats for football included 22 solo tackles in a game against Young America School. His other academic honors include receiving the American Legion Award, Medallion and Ribbon in 1960, an award was voted on by the staff for honor and service.
- Dee was offered a Football scholarship at three different colleges. He chose Eastern Illinois University and played for one year. But because of financial concerns, he chose not to continue school and
began working as a concrete finisher, which he made a career of.
- He was a Military Police and served in Vietnam in 1966.
- Dee is a member of the St. Joseph American Legion Post 634.
- His community service includes establishing the All Veterans Movement at Woodard Park. He and other fellow veterans designed and built the memorial.
Dee has also donated his time and concrete work to many projects in the community.
- Dee has been married to his wife Wilma for 55 years. Wilma is a 1963 graduate of St. Joseph High School.
- They have three children, Neal, Helene, and Sara. They are all SJO graduates.
- They have 12 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Photo from the News-Gazette
You must be logged in to post a comment.